Teachers, share with your students one of the greatest stories of all time – how did animal life evolve on planet earth?
Download or stream these short videos to help students learn about this dramatic rise of the animal kingdom and how those first animals lead to the astonishing diversity we see on earth today:
- Stunning animations explain the intricate inner workings of animals’ bodies, demonstrating how form and function are complementary.
- Never before filmed animal behaviors show animals hunting and feeding in their natural habitats.
- Scientists are shown at work, as they study paleontology, genetics and ecology, pursuing their passion for the animals they study.
- From sponges, to worms, to humans, each phylum is presented, showing the exquisite design of its body plan and the evolutionary developments that lead to today’s astonishing diversity.
- Other topics present exciting new developments in genetics, paleontology, and engineering.
All these videos align with the National Science content standards for grades 5-9 and California 7th grade science standards.
Of the 35 known animal phyla, most of the animals alive today are member of only eight. The Shape of Life was originally developed as an eight-part television series highlighting these eight phyla.