Join us on an amazing tour of how animal life evolved on planet earth
These short videos show students of all ages the dramatic rise of the animal kingdom and the astonishing diversity we see on earth today:
- Stunning animations explain the intricate inner workings of animals’ bodies, demonstrating the complementary relationsigh of form and function.
- Up-close films show animal behaviors while hunting and feeding in their natural habitats.
- Scientists, shown at work, study paleontology, genetics and ecology, pursuing their passion for the animals they study.
- From sponges, to worms, to humans, each phylum is presented in exquisite detail of its body plan and the evolutionary developments that lead to today’s astonishing diversity.
- Other topics present exciting new developments in genetics, paleontology, and engineering.
All these videos align with the Next Generation Science Standards for grades 5-9 and California 7th grade science standards.
The Shape of Life was originally developed as an eight-part PBS television series highlighting eight phyla.